Tomorrow we begin Movember – a month long effort to raise awareness and funds to help fight testicular and prostate cancer. The Mets Police are proud to support this cause and lead a team (The Blue Cap Army) to raise money in this effort.
Last year The Blue Cap Army raised $1,500. This year, with more recruits and your help we are hoping to raise $5,000.
You can help in several ways. The first is obviously by making a donation – which you can do here
If you can’t make a donation, that’s completely understandable. You can still help though by joining out team and/or by spreading the word about what we are trying to do. Again, the Blue Cap Army page is here.
Whatever you can do to help, thank you.
During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on hundreds of thousands of men’s faces, in the US and around the world. With their Mo’s, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men. Last year over $126 million was raised.
Not counting some forms of skin cancer, prostate cancer in the United States is—
- The most common cancer in men, no matter your race or ethnicity.
- The second most common cause of death from cancer among white, African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, and Hispanic men.
- The fourth most common cause of death from cancer among Asian/Pacific Islander men.
- More common in African-American men compared to white men.
- Less common in American Indian/Alaska Native and Asian/Pacific Islander men compared to white men.
- More common in Hispanic men compared to non-Hispanic men.
In 2008 (the most recent year for which numbers are available)—
- 214,633 men in the United States were diagnosed with prostate cancer.*
- 28,471 men in the United States died from prostate cancer.*
On October 31st I will be shaving my goatee (much to my wife’s chagrin) and will start the month with a clean face. Over the next 30 days I will be growing my mo’ and I invite other bloggers, fans, readers – everyone out there – to join The Blue Cap Army team, either by pledging to grow your own ‘stache (and helping us get pledges), or by donating to the team.
Last year our team raised $1,500. This year we are setting a goal of $5,000
Every day during Movember we will introduce the Mets Mo of the Day – a feature we ran last year and will renew again this year.
The Blue Cap Army has shown it’s passion before – will you join us now?
My book! $9 for paperback, $3 for eBook/kindle.